Monday, May 4, 2020

Leap of Faith

I took a leap of faith. I was approached to take on some contract work for a couple of months. It comes with a potential for full-time work or other contract work following this project. Given the current situation ("shelter-in-place") and the uncertainties that come with that, I decided to take the work. There is no guarantee for post-project work. But at the moment getting back to work, being the bread winner again and ensuring some stability in this crazy time is important to me.

I have not done this kind of "self-employed" or "contractor" work for over twenty years. The times and the rules around it have both changed. In some ways it feels safer. I have created a "limited liability company (LLC)" to handle to income and other items. This option was not available twenty years ago. There were not even these basic types of options or protections for "independent contractors". Back then it was a way for a company to use and abuse you without having to hire you or give you benefits. And for us it led to a number of tax issues. I was young and naive when it came to finances. I still am naive in many ways about taxes and finances. It is a subject for which I have no interest. But I do know today things are better for "contractors". We will still have to deal with our own taxes (quarterly per the government). But with modern software it is much easier, even if it is still painful.

The other side of the coin is that this new path is somewhat scary and fearful. I have been an "employee" for so long I am neither fully comfortable nor accustomed yet to working for myself. Fortunately my brave and supportive wife is my co-pilot, navigator, snack queen and music director on this crazy adventure we call life. She is always there in these times and I am eternally grateful for her. I know this is scary and fearful for her as well, but she tries not to show that for my sake.

Will this turn out to be the path to the future? Doing contract work and being my "own man"? Perhaps. I do not know, but my hope is that this will be successful and lead to great things. I am trying to listen and be confident that this is the path the Lord has laid out for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment