Monday, April 13, 2020

In the service of others...



Part of why I decided to bring this blog back to life was based on a request from my wife. She saw that I was getting discouraged and down at times while I conducted my current job search. She wanted me to see the good in things and the positives. She is wonderful at serving and encouraging others.

Over the weekend we made a quick trip down to our son's house. (Yes, I know the whole stay-at-home thing and social distancing). Following a storm a week ago a large part of the tree in their front yard had fallen down. It was one of the trunks of a multi-trunk maple. People who know me, know I am addicted to collecting wood for my woodworking. So we went down to collect a truck load. (Unfortunately there was no way for me to take the whole tree!)

While there we spent a few minutes (at safe social distances) conversing with my son and daughter-in-law. And it was here that I realized how great it is to have people who are willing to serve others. My wife had expressed that she is feeling like she has no place to "serve" at the moment (church, a local Bible Foundation, others). And while we spoke our daughter-in-law stated the same sorrow. Her passion is rescue dogs and the shelters that love and care for them. They have two Husky mixes that serve as our "grand-puppies" both of whom came from the shelter where our daughter-in-law volunteered then worked. But now, like my wife, those places are closed to serving and volunteers.

So part of my gratitude is for those who are serving. Whether it be those folks battling the virus (doctors, nurses, healthcare workers), keeping society going (grocery, restaurant, postal workers, and all the rest) and even our daughter who is a Funeral Director in Wisconsin (often forgotten about in the list of "necessary" people).

But my gratitude is also for those who regularly serve (when society is not in the midst of chaos). Those folks who take time out of their lives to give back. Not because there is money or fame or reward, but because it needs to be done. And they love it. It fills their hearts and souls to serve others. It gives them a greater sense of purpose and belonging.

I have experienced the importance of serving others in my own life by watching and learning from my wife. She has one of the biggest "servant hearts" around. She taught me how important and fulfilling it is to serve others. She taught me "service" does not come with strings or conditions. It is an act we do to please the higher powers we believe in and to bring joy and happiness to others. It is one of the selfless ways all humans should act. And we need that more than ever at the moment.

So to my wife, my daughter-in-law and all others that serve and give of themselves I am eternally grateful.

1 comment: