Thursday, April 9, 2020

Renaissance Man

Finding a new job is hard. In a time of change, uncertainty, fear and even panic job hunting is very hard. I certainly had to adjust my expectations around the job hunt. No one is knocking down my door to hire me (how is that even not a possibility? LOL). I have had contacts and reach outs for which I am very grateful and appreciative. And I have been applying for jobs through online sources at the rate of about one per 2-3 days. But the reality at this moment is that companies are not just hiring. I understand given the current situation. I have worked to keep my hopes and outlook positive that decent employment is out there for me. My wife has helped tremendously, but even she is feeling the stress and enormity of the current world.

I had several interviews, some of which went well and others just okay. A hopeful opportunity did not progress because the interviewer and I did not "click". It felt like he was looking for someone to guess the answers in his head. He would ask a question, I would answer and then he would tell me the answer he was looking to hear. Pretty much a "no win" situation. I have the chops to do about anything I try. I am a Renaissance Man. But I am not good at mind-reading (no one is). That part of job hunting is the frustrating part. You have maybe 30 minutes to prove to a complete stranger how "perfect" you are for some deeply embedded ideal they have of the person they seek.

Back to the Renaissance Man thing. I have always thought of myself as a polymorph. I am "comb shaped" (very good at a lot of things--like fingers on a comb). Someone once said "Mike knows things... ." It is strange how things work. Before all the chaos of COVID-19, my wife took me to museum to see a travelling Leonardo da Vinci exhibit. He is one of my idols and historic favorites (along with Mr Einstein). He personifies the definition of "Renaissance Man". The way he thought and saw things. The way he explored and questioned and then learned. Da Vinci was never satisfied with what he already knew. He wanted more. I see myself in that same mode. And now we are binging on the "The Tudors" about Henry VIII and his wives (set at the beginning of the English Renaissance).

So when it comes to finding a new job, I find myself challenged and not a bit frustrated. Why do people not give me a chance? I can do the posted jobs if someone were to just take the small risk. I know some people see it as a big risk hiring an unknown or someone who does not fit their preconceived notions perfectly. But I see also (and have personally experienced) that people do not see it as a big risk to unload or terminate someone for whatever reasons.

The world is "upside down" right now (see my previous post), so I need to hope and believe that someone will take the risk and bring me on once things have steadied. I need to continue to be grateful and count my blessings for the things I have. Faith is important, especially at the moment. We all need faith, even a "polymorph" like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment