Thursday, April 2, 2020

"The World Turned Upside Down"

Well, it has been a long time since I posted on this blog. But it is time to start up again.

It is now April of 2020. The world is in the midst of what is arguably the most impactful situation in decades if not centuries. COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus) has come to roost. But I do not want to make this about the virus. Rather I want (and really need) to express what is going on in my head, my heart and my soul because of COVID-19 and other recent events.

I have been without a job since Valentine's Day 2020. It resulted from some conflict between myself and my former manager. He did not like others questioning or challenging him. Regardless, it is what it is. I have been on the hunt for several weeks. There have been good days (for which I am thankful) and tough days. Today was kind of a tough day. I had an interview the other day that went okay, but not a home run. Found out at lunchtime that it is a no go. I knew that would be the outcome (my head) but it still hit me hard (my heart and soul). I fell into kind of a funk.

Fortunately I have with me my best friend and love of my life--my wife. She gave me hugs and said "It will be okay." She is my biggest fan and personal cheerleader. She believes in me like no one else. She sees in me what others do not. She is my rock. She is me and I am her. I am eternally grateful to the Lord for having her in my life.

It is hard to have a sense of being the "provider" and not being able to complete that role. I am worried and anxious and even scared. When I lost my job I thought, "I will have a new job in no time." Well 'no-time' has turned into six weeks and counting. I have some contacts and even some interviews (again grateful for those). I am keeping busy (woodworking, an online class, re-learning role playing games, etc). But my situation still weighs heavy at times. Like today.

The job hunt is made even harder by the ever changing situation in the world. The "normal" that pervaded for so long has gone topsy-turvey. Quarantine, businesses closed, huge unemployment, sickness, death are all quick becoming the new "norm". I am reminded of a point in the musical "Hamilton" (being the history nerd that I am). The singers mention an old British drinking song--"The World Turned Upside Down"--sung by British soldiers at the end of the Battle of Yorktown (1781). The opening stanza:

Listen to me and you shall hear, news hath not been this thousand year:
Since Herod, Caesar, and many more, you never heard the like before.
Holy-dayes are despis'd, new fashions are devis'd.
Old Christmas is kickt out of Town.
Yet let's be content, and the times lament, you see the world turn'd upside down.

British Soldiers Surrendering at Yorktown

Like the subtle suggestion in the song, the day turned out okay in the end despite the changing world. We went for a walk and got some fresh air. We have been open and honest with each other and talking about the current situation. I am sure a lot conversations these days are about recent events.

My wife and I spoke while having coffee this am. What will the future hold? I am not sure but I know the past will not be the future for "you see the world turn'd upside down."

No comments:

Post a Comment